Thursday, June 3, 2010

Medical Opinions

The first doctor to actually feel this thing was my GYN.  As I've said before, she is cautious.  I love this about my doctors they take the time, they expend the energy - and they are very, very thorough.  She took time with me - she explained her concerns and let me know why they were being so aggressive.


Genetics.

With a sister that has once been through this whole she-bang...that puts me at a higher risk.

I have always wanted to be like my older sister...

Doc told me two things - it could be a fibroid or it could be not a fibroid.

Good to know, thanks.

Off to the mammo.

Now, if you've not done a mammo before, shame on you - and lucky you, all at the same time.  The first thing (and most prominent thing) that made me the most uncomfortable about this...it was NOT the fact that my breast was being squished between to hard plastic sheets.  Nor was it the fact that I was naked from the waist up in a tiny room with one other person whom I've only just met...

No.

It was the fact that I was not allowed to wear deoderant for the exam.  Um Helllllooooooo - we live in Phoenix.  It's June.  It's stinkin' hot.  And now I get to be stinkin' too.  Yay.

Aside from the deodorant thing, the mammo was everything I've come to expect from the stories I've been told.  I still firmly believe that a man designed this thing.  I've also got a redesign in mind for the method for checking for testicular cancer...just sayin'.

After the mammo we moved to ultrasound.  I've done these before - just normally not on my chest.  Good news - there was no heartbeat other than mine.

Once the ultrasound was done, the radiologist read the film.  The result?

Normal.  Completely normal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment