Thursday, June 10, 2010

Where Much is Given…

I’ve had a few people ask me why I’m writing this blog when I have no idea of the actual outcome of these events.  Here’s the simple answer: I write when I’m stressed.  It’s my way of coping.  I have no idea how this is all going to turn out.  Writing is my therapy.

I suppose it all goes a little bit deeper than that though.  I just had an amazing conversation with a friend of mine (through the magic of Facebook, of course) that brought me to another realization, this blog is more than just my therapy – it is possible someone else might read this and find a little bit of comfort in their own situation.

Okay, so I know that sounds arrogant.  I’m not proposing that I’m trying to heal the world through my writing.  However I do believe that everything that happens is another opportunity to learn, to grow and to share.  I was told many years ago that I would be able to help others through difficult situations simply by being me.  This blog is definitely me.  It is my most intimate thoughts and feelings, fears of the unknown and looks into the bright side of life.  I intend to learn much from this experience and use that knowledge however possible.

One of my favorite scriptures (yes, I’m going to the scriptures now – I tend to do that when I’m looking for answers, solace, am confused or lonely, and even when I simply want something to do to pass the time…I could choose worse activities don’t ya think?) is in the Doctrine and Covenants 82:1-3.

  1 Verily I say unto you my friends, fear not, let your hearts be comforted; yea, rejoice evermore, and in everything give thanks;

  2 Waiting patiently on the Lord, for your prayers have entered into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth, and are recorded with this seal and testament—the Lord hath sworn and decreed that they shall be granted.

  3 Therefore, he giveth this promise unto you, with an immutable covenant that they shall be fulfilled; and all things wherewith you have been afflicted shall work together for your good, and to my name’s glory, saith the Lord.

Fear Not. Prayers. Promise. Work Together For Your Good.

Regardless of the situation, that is all I need to know.  He is with me.  He knows I have fears and trials, but He promises that it will all work for my good.  He knows what my “good” is.  I don’t.  And that’s okay.  My job is to learn from these experiences and share what I’ve learned or use what I’ve learned to better understand and have empathy for others.  He will handle the rest.  So I will continue to write.  If anything, I’ve chronicled my experiences for our family history.  I can pull this out when I’m ninety and say – I was there once, and this is what I learned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy... You have the best attitude! I will keep you in my positive thoughts and prayers. Journaling this experience is very good... for you, and for others to read... especially if they become aware of how important it is to do the self breast exams. It's always good to be pro-active in our own health... I'm proud of you! I Love You!

Abigail said...

I came to your blog from a post that Save the TaTas posted on Facebook. My mom is a breast cancer fighter. She was originally diagnosed in 2000, was in remission, and is currently fighting breast cancer again, but this time in her pelvis and lower left lung.

I admire your strength and courage to put all your feelings out in the open. I wish my mom could do the same. Luckily, she's being treated at Duke Hospital and they have stopped all growth of the cancer cells.

I will pray for you and your family as you go through this battle together. (I love your writing!!)

Blessings!

Post a Comment